Founded in 1994, AMIkids Y.E.S. is a private nonprofit, staff-secure, residential facility in Wimauma, Florida. Our program operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, serving kids who have committed a variety of non-violent offenses and are involved with Florida Department of Juvenile Justice. Our kids live in dormitories on campus in a remote location, which is ideally structured to help them work through their issues and gain the needed skills to return to their families and communities.
No kid is born bad. As life progresses, all of us are faced with pressures and environments that can influence decisions. Fortunately for many, foundations of support through families, mentors, role models, and positive environments can guide us, providing opportunities and helping us make the right decisions.
But some kids don’t have that support. There are a multitude of situations that can affect a child negatively, and dim that potential. Family issues, negative influences, and dangerous environments are just a few of many situations that can negatively affect a child’s development and can lead to behavioral issues, learning disabilities, and in some cases offenses. If left untreated and punished, the cycle of negative behavior continues, many times for the rest of their lives.
There is potential born into every child. AMIkids is dedicated to helping our troubled kids realize and achieve that potential, strengthen their community, and have a lasting impact on generations to come.
OUR MISSION: AMIkids is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping youth develop into responsible and productive citizens. AMIkids' mission is to protect public safety and positively impact as many youth as possible through the efforts of a diverse and innovative staff. AMIkids works in partnership with youth agencies, local communities and families.
Volunteers help AMIkids achieve its mission by mentoring kids thus achieving favorable outcomes in several areas of life including educational attainment, career exploration, and job placement attainment.
A position description follows:
Job Title: Mentor
4337 Saffold Road Wimauma, FL 33598
Purpose of Position:
Work as a mentor directly with youth to help them achieve the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to help them separate a troubled past from a bright future.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Provide Job Coaching to Mentees in the following areas:
• How to identify jobs meeting their abilities,
• How to complete an employment application,
• When and how to follow-up on submitted applications,
• How to prepare for an interview,
• How to dress for an interview,
• What to do when actually at the interview and closure of the interview,
• Where to find resources to help the mentee in their pursue of employment,
• Ensure transportation has been identified and arrive at interview timely.
2. Provide Mentee’s Self-Development in the following areas:
• How to make appropriate decisions and positive life choices,
• Developing critical thinking skills,
• Developing problem solving skills,
• Building communication skills,
• Building effective interpersonal relationships,
• A self-awareness (understanding their own character, feelings, motives, desires, strengths and weaknesses),
• Staying focused on goals,
1. High school diploma/GED OR working toward attaining a high school diploma or GED during their term of service.
2. 21 years of age
3. Must pass all required Background screenings,
4. Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
5. Have a genuine interest to help troubled youth attain an honorable and sucessful life.
Commitment Expected: 2 - 4 hours per week
Training: Training will be provided by Site Coordinator